Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1994 Civic DX clutch ignition switch stopper pad

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Default 1994 Civic DX clutch ignition switch stopper pad

I bought a 94 civic back in July to drive back and forth to work. It's a 5 speed, 150,000 miles. I haven't had a single problem out of it until now. When I was leaving to work the other evening I turned the key and it wouldn't start, wouldn't even try, click or anything. I spent the past two days trying to pinpoint the problem and finally figured out it was the clutch pedal stopper which contacts the clutch ignition switch was missing. I found it in pieces on the floorboard. I was planning on putting something in its place but can't access it without taking the clutch completely off, or jumping the wires. Any suggestions?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

Put a multimeter on your battery first. I checked everything on mine and was sure it was the clutch thingee. But I checked the battery and found that after setting while I worked on the motor that it had dropped to two volts. A new battery and it cranked right up.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 AM

See, I know for a fact it's not the battery. There's a little stopper that goes on the top of the clutch pedal that pushes the clutch ignition switch, it's missing, so essentially when I go to start my car, it's like I don't have the clutch depressed. I just need to know if anyones had this problem and if I have to take the clutch pedal off to fix it.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

Sorry, didn't read to the end. First thing I'd do, if you haven't already, is remove the seat. It is easy and makes for aore comfortable work area. When I was trying to see if mine was up there I didn't and it was painful. You do have a manual, don't you? It should tell you what to do.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

I had the same thing happen on my dodge colt, the bumper was only a couple bucks.
I think I got it from O'Reilly, special order.
I slid the seat all the way back, reclined the upper seat.
You end up with your head and shoulders in the floor, and your feet in the air.
It took a little effort to get the new one in, at the same time the blood is going to your head. Depending on how your back feels, removing the seat would make it easy.
But all in all it's an easy fix
Dave