Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1994 Civic si brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Default 1994 Civic si brake issues

Hi everyone, new to forum and new to Honda car ownership, although I am a big fan of Honda bikes. I've got a early CBR900 and a VFR 750 which I enjoy every chance I get. I've recently bought a 1994 Civic si in Norway (where I live) its a US import made in Canada so I may have a few issues trying to get the correct parts. The car is quite quick for its looks, looks like a normal compact car but with the SOHC V tec its pretty sweet. The car is generally all good, but a noise from the front left wheel when braking lightly led me to do some investigation. The noise is probably the simple wear sensor metal thing as the inside pads are very worn. Problem is that the wear is really strange, the area of the inside pad that is actually making contact with the disc is very small and the inner side of BOTH front discs has as lot of rust, sort of like a lip in perfect circumference with the disc itself. I've worked in motorcycle workshops for a few years and have seen this on the odd occasion, but for both discs to be like this is really strange. Also the back left disc has a similar thing going on, but not the back right. Any one have any idea (see attached pics) as to what has caused this? I was thinking maybe incorrect pads fitted or at some point they have gone metal to metal. Check out the picture of the front pad.

I'm going to go for new rotors and pads all round as the car has 130 k miles on the original equipment.

Can anyone shed any light as to how this may have happened, or maybe someone has had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Civic si brake issues-img_0677.jpg   1994 Civic si brake issues-img_0681.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This is very common when a car has been sitting idle for a while, the rotors will rust.

Normally, light rust will just be worn off by the pads when the car is driven again. But if the rust is heavy and scaly, it will eat into the pads instead. Then the pads don't touch the rotor all the way across, so the rotor continues to rust.

The remedy is simply to replace the pads and the rotors with new ones.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Ok thats what I was hoping somebody would say, guess the previous owner let it stand for a while and the rust that usually remains on the outer edge of the disc progressed to the disc surface itself.

Thanks very much for the quick reply!