Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1997 Honda CRV

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Default 1997 Honda CRV

I have a problem, I have a 97 Honda CRV, not a civic. But I noticed you guys are having alot of the same problems I have with my CRV. It will not start when it it damp or raining, if you let it sit for awhile and it gets dry it will start until it rains or gets damp again. It is not the fuel pump, you can here it running when you turn the switch. Just put on anew distributor cap and plugs, started up rough turned it off and now it wont start again. Could it be the coil? It is in a garage and we are stumped. Can someone help?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 1997 Honda CRV

I have read some threads where this problem has been caused by bad plug wires.

Nonetheless, when you replaced the distributor cap, did you notice any corrosion or moisture inside?

Also, when the engine won't start, check whether there is no spark at the plugs. This is done by removing a plug wire from the plug, inserting a good plug in the end, and grounding the plug threads against a convenient metal engine part. With a buddy cranking the engine, you should see a bright spark at the end of the plug. Repeat for each plug wire. If you lack spark, then you may have bad plug wires, or rotor, coil, or igniter unit in the distributor.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Default RE: 1997 Honda CRV

Thank you very much. It turned out to be 2 things that you mentioned. The new spark plug wires that we put on were no good and the coil also was malfuntioning. Your help was and is much appreciated!!!!!!!

Stacy