Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Civic EX makes a squealing noise but wont turn over

Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Default 2000 Civic EX makes a squealing noise but wont turn over

I just got back from a month long tour of Europe and my civic was sitting idle the entire time. When I tried to start it when I got back it makes a squealing noise but doesn't seem to be turning over. If I hold the key in the start position for 15-20 seconds (I know this is very bad for the starter) it will start to kick and then I an press the gas and it will seem like it starts okay, but as soon as I let go of the key it instantly dies, even after it seems like it is running. I have checked the oil and coolant, but I am a novice with cars so I just cant seem to figure out what is wrong with it. Any help at all is appreciated, and I can supply any additional info you might want.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It could be a seized alternator, A/C compressor, or power steering pump. It will make a lot of noise when the belt slips but the engine won't start because of all the drag.

Watch under the hood while someone turns the key and see what is not turning, or take the belts off and spin each accessory unit by hand to check if it is stuck. You can also try to start with the belts off.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:58 PM

I dont have the tools today to take off the belts but I should have them tomorrow morning. In the attached picture the belt I'm pointing at (I think it's the alternator belt but I'm not 100%) spins very slowly when I turn the key and gets faster when the car is close to starting up. If I apply pressure with my hand while the belts are on and the car is off, should the belts spin or does it take more power than me pulling it?

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Civic EX makes a squealing noise but wont turn over-dscn1597.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Your finger is pointing at the power steering (PS) pump. You won't normally be able to turn any of the drive belts by hand.

Loosen the belts, starting the PS belt, then the A/C belt, and last the alternator belt. The PS and alternator belts are loosened by loosening the mounting bolts. For the A/C belt, you need to loosen the center nut of the idler pulley and then the top adjusting bolt. There's no need to remove the belts at this point. Then you can check whether any pulleys turn with resistance.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM

I was able to tell which belt it was by putting my hand on the belts after I tried starting it and felt which one was hot. It turned out to be my alternator, so I just cut the belt (which I had been thinking of replacing anyway) and now I can run it off the battery just fine until I can replace the alternator. Thanks a lot for your guys help, without your suggestions I wouldn't have been able to find the problem.