Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic LX Cranks, But Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Thumbs down 2001 Civic LX Cranks, But Won't Start!

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX, which has had everything but the kitchen sink done to it over the course of its life. However, I'll try to condense this thread down to the most recent and pertinent issues.

Since about May of last year (when, I should add, I had a new "California" catalytic converter installed,) this car has not been driven that much, and has mostly been sitting parked at my sister's house in her carport. Recently, she decided to give it to me, as she is moving out of state. It was occasionally stalling on her as it idled at red lights, for example.

To be safe, I had the car towed to be checked out. The first work done to the car was at my local go-to mechanic for any work above an oil change. They replaced the vacuum hose and the main relay, as I think there are three relay switches in total. However, the car wouldn't start at all, which was something new (unfortunately).

Next, I had it towed to our local Honda dealership/service center. After performing a diagnostic, they determined the spark plugs were fowled, and replaced them. Another diagnostic showed them the thermostat needed to be replaced, so they did that, as well. I was also told the timing belt may have a tooth or two missing, but as long as I didn't tromp on the gas pedal, the car should drive fine. However, they charged me an arm and a leg (unfortunately) for replacement work that even I could have done, and I'm an amateur, at best.

So, to be safe, I decided to take it for an oil change (and a second opinion) at our go-to shop for oil changes (and second opinions). Apparently, the Honda service center must not have checked it too thoroughly. Also, the check engine light and air bag light were on at arrival. They plugged into the computer and it said that the car needed an oxygen sensor. So that was replaced. So I drove it home, and everything seemed fine. Unfortunately...

...The next morning, I started the car and drove it around my house to the backyard. I turned it off, loaded up the trunk with some equipment, went to start it a second time, and...it cranks (turns over), but it won't start. This was two days ago, and I haven't tried to start it since.

Is this enough information to help determine what it might be? Any help will be appreciated!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Edit: I went to start the car this morning, and (would you believe) it started. On again, off again...

Also (I forgot to mention) that at our oil change shop, they adjusted the idle adjustment screw.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the CEL on?

When the engine won't start:

Does the fuel pump prime?

Is there bright white spark at all four plugs?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Is the CEL on?

When the engine won't start:

Does the fuel pump prime?

Is there bright white spark at all four plugs?
The check engine light was on, and I'm not sure whether or not the fuel pump primes or if the spark plugs have a bright white spark. I would have to have someone with me, someone preferably more knowledgeable about cars, to determine that.

Here is an update on the situation with this car. After the car started up, a test drive was taken. The car began to overheat after about 5-10 minutes of driving it.

So, I took it to another shop, one where I've had body work done and various other things, and it's a place I've come to trust in terms of diagnostics and such. They determined a couple things: 1. the three bolts that would have to be removed for the thermostat had not even been touched, and 2. a coolant hose was loose, which could explain the overheating problem.

The last I heard from them was that the thermostat may have been put in wrong, and that, even though they reattached the hose, it still has the overheating problem.

So now the car starts okay. Now it has an overheating problem, which I've heard is somewhat common among Civics. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Any thoughts?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM

I should add, it's a lot like the problem in the thread about the 2004 Civic that overheats and blows cold air, as of when the car was overheating on me.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:31 PM

try this befor starting the car when car is cold take the radiator cap off then i wont u to make shur theres coolint in the rad after that leve the cap off and start the car up have some one watch the radiator but do not tand in front of it look for coolint shooting out the radiator if that happens u need a head gasget.if happins shut doun the car fast.