Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

83 Civic 1300 Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Question 83 Civic 1300 Cranks but won't start

I have an 1983 Civic 1300 hatchback that I bought from an old couple an would like to restore once I get the cash. It ran and drove without any problems for about six months, when suddenly one morning, I couldn't get it to start.

When I first tried to start it, it started up for a minute then died. The next time, it died sooner, then it wouldn't start at all. I thought I might have flooded it, so I gave it some time, but when I tried again the next day, same thing. The gas gauge registers about 1/8 tank, and it's pretty reliable so I don't think that gas is the problem. The radio, lights etc. are all working. One thing that seemed strange was that when I crank the engine, I can put the accelerator all the way to the floor without anything happening, I don't know if that means the fuel pump is bad, or anything at all. It had a new alternator put in fairly recently, too.

It would be great if anyone could tell me what the problem might be the problem, I'm a budding DIYer and I would like to fix the car myself, but I really don't know how to start now. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's probably an ignition problem, so check for sparks. Take the wire off of the center of the distributor (the one that leads to the coil) and hold it (by the rubber part) so the metal end is near a ground. Crank engine and see if sparks fly from the end of the wire. If not, probably the ignition module is bad. Before concluding that for sure though, make sure the distributor rotor turns when you crank the engine and that there is battery voltage on the two small terminals of the coil.