Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic Couple VTEC DX Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Default 2001 Civic Couple VTEC DX Cranks but won't start

Ok got a real weird one here.

A few weeks ago I changed the timing belt for a friend on her 01 Civic with 105000 miles. At the same time we did tune up spark plug replacement, water pump, oil change, and battery terminal clean. Everything went relatively smoothly. Car fired right up with no issues. So i know the timing was good from there.

She took the car to Florida from Texas (about 1000 miles) and all the way back to Texas with no issues.

She leaves out of town for a week and left the car with her brother. He calls and states the Honda has died and gets it towed back to the house. I check it out and it cranks but wont start. I pulled the coil pack on each cylinder and checked each plug. Got good spark when you turn over the engine on each coil. You can also tell there is gas getting to the cylinders since the plugs come out wet. You can hear the fuel pump pressurize the system when you turn the key to the "ON" position. I have also tried using starting fluid in the intake cavity with the air cleaner off. Makes no difference. She doesnt even try to start.

I am now at a loss. What else could be causing this problem? Is it possible that it could have jumped time by a tooth or something? I am going to tear back into it this weekend to see what I could find. Maybe someone on here has something else I could try.