Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2003 Civic SI Interior Fan Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Default 2003 Civic SI Interior Fan Issues

Good Day

Fairly new to your forum. I have checked the stickys but couldn't find a subject that closely related to this issue.

The interior fan in the wifes 03SI civic just stopped working the other day.

She said it was working on and off and then all of a sudden stopped working, No strange noises just stopped. The dial in the dash will still turn the air conditioner light on so I suspect the dial is functioning properly. Checked the fuses and they were all good.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue and what was the outcome? Where do they hide fan in a civic?

Thanks for your assistance in advance

Old 05-19-2010, 03:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The fan is under the dash on the far right side. I think it can be replaced without disassembling anything else. Locate the fan motor and measure the voltage between the two wires in its plug (with the plug still plugged into the motor, key on and fan control on high). If it is 12 volts, the motor is bad. If no voltage, the power transistor is probably bad. In that case you will have 12 volts from each wire to ground. If you have zero volts from both wires to ground, check the fuse (under the hood).

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks, will check it out tonight

Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
The fan is under the dash on the far right side. I think it can be replaced without disassembling anything else. Locate the fan motor and measure the voltage between the two wires in its plug (with the plug still plugged into the motor, key on and fan control on high). If it is 12 volts, the motor is bad. If no voltage, the power transistor is probably bad. In that case you will have 12 volts from each wire to ground. If you have zero volts from both wires to ground, check the fuse (under the hood).
Very easy to get to and test. Unfortuanatly I didn't completely read your post and I had everything apart and back together before I had a chance to check the voltage with fan connected to power.
  • I had pulled the plug and I get 12+ volts when I turn the fan switch (dial) on, more where the car is running 13-14volts. This doesn't change when I change the fan speed
  • I had pulled the fan and checked the impediance and it showed good, also hooked it up to a 12 volt source and it works like a fan should. works like a new one.
  • I had only done a visual on the fuse a couple of days ago and it was good but will check it again tonight with an meter.

Would I get 12 volts on the fan plug if the fuse was gone?

Again thanks for your time guys

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by mk378

Got back and did the measurements. measured the voltage with the plug still in and it was zero. each side of the plug to ground is 12 +- volts.

Where do I find the power transistor? and what does it look like. Is it difficult to change?

Thanks again guys

Cheers

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes you have to do the voltage test with the fan plugged in. Power transistor is mounted in the ductwork behind the glove box. Remove glove box (unscrew hinges at the bottom) and find the power transistor it has a 4 wire plug. Very easy to change.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks.

Your right very easy to get at.

Just want to make sure. its the one in the duct work that is 1/2 way visible just below the glove box but needed to pull hte glove box to get it out.

125 bucks for one of those at our honda. Ouch. Is there a way to check it before i go pick one up.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM

MK378

Thanks again

She is working with the new resistor and I put in two new cabin filters while I was at it, 7 years of crap sure blocks air flow.

Cheers

Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah if you never changed the cabin filter before it was certainly due. 98% of the time if the fan motor and fuse are good, the problem is the power transistor.