Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Civic won't accelerate.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Default 2007 Civic won't accelerate.

Last night my car began bucking slightly when it was idling. Soon after I had to pull over because it won't respond to acceleration. The check engine light came on. It will idle to about 5-10 mph, but the gas peddle is completely unresponsive. I added a bottle of 5w-20 oil and half a bottle of transmission fluid (hope that's okay...) but it didn't help. Any ideas before I take it in to a mechanic?

Brand new engine, maybe 2-3 months old.
150,000 miles on the car.
I had an oil change about 2000 miles ago.

Thanks so much,
Kyle

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Hey
Your somewhat lucky the check engine light came on. When check engine light comes on, it stores trouble codes in the computer. If you have access to a code scanner, go ahead and scan the codes and let us know what they are. If you dont have access, take it to a local parts shop and they should scan it for free. Pep boys, autozone, and Kragen/Oreilleys scan for free.
Sound to me like the throttle cable came undone or broke. Have you tryed to manually rev the car from under the hood?

Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 AM

I'm having the same issue, but we've replaced the throttle body completely. It'll work for a while, but then randomly I'll start it and then reverse out of my driveway with no issues, but as soon as I take it out of reverse and try to drive away I can't accelerate. It'll accelerate on it's own at about 10 mph, but nothing more. I turn the engine off for about five minutes and start it back up and it'll work again.

The first time it happened (a month after I bought the car at very good condition price) we used the code reader and it said it was the throttle sticking. Replacing the throttle body should have fixed it, so we're at kind of a loss on why this continues to happen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Cat Fuсker

Originally Posted by snorkelsaur
I'm having the same issue, but we've replaced the throttle body completely. It'll work for a while, but then randomly I'll start it and then reverse out of my driveway with no issues, but as soon as I take it out of reverse and try to drive away I can't accelerate. It'll accelerate on it's own at about 10 mph, but nothing more. I turn the engine off for about five minutes and start it back up and it'll work again.

The first time it happened (a month after I bought the car at very good condition price) we used the code reader and it said it was the throttle sticking. Replacing the throttle body should have fixed it, so we're at kind of a loss on why this continues to happen. Does anyone have any ideas?
Do you have a check engine light? This could be caused by a number of things including bad fuel pressure and wrong timing (both valve and ignition timing can cause that)