Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Civic switch/signal problem

Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 AM
Default 2008 Civic switch/signal problem

A few weeks ago I was stopped at a stop light, headlights were on. Both turn signals on the dash began flashing as if I had my hazard lights on, the radio and dash lighting flickered in time with the signal lights flashing. I did not have either right or left signal on. I pulled over and all exterior lights were flashing as well but not the headlights or brake lights. I kept driving as I was on side streets with no traffic to try to figure out what was happening. Whenever I signaled left the same thing would happen, but not right. It went away after a few minutes and seemed to be fine.

The car was fine for about a week then the same thing happened and went away after a minute. I seemed to be okay since then, but my wife was driving behind me and told me that whenever I changed lanes all of the exterior rear lights would flash, not the brake lights though, as though my hazards were on, but on the dash only the left or right signal was on so it looks fine inside the car, this is also now happening signaling both left and right. I'm hoping it is as simple as replacing the signal/headlight switch as I'm not electrically savvy. Any thoughts?

Old 06-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MYLOBEAR
A few weeks ago I was stopped at a stop light, headlights were on. Both turn signals on the dash began flashing as if I had my hazard lights on, the radio and dash lighting flickered in time with the signal lights flashing. I did not have either right or left signal on. I pulled over and all exterior lights were flashing as well but not the headlights or brake lights. I kept driving as I was on side streets with no traffic to try to figure out what was happening. Whenever I signaled left the same thing would happen, but not right. It went away after a few minutes and seemed to be fine.

The car was fine for about a week then the same thing happened and went away after a minute. I seemed to be okay since then, but my wife was driving behind me and told me that whenever I changed lanes all of the exterior rear lights would flash, not the brake lights though, as though my hazards were on, but on the dash only the left or right signal was on so it looks fine inside the car, this is also now happening signaling both left and right. I'm hoping it is as simple as replacing the signal/headlight switch as I'm not electrically savvy. Any thoughts?

Hi I’m having the same issues did you find the problem? If so can you please let me know thank you