Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2012 Civic Hybrid AC Thermal Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Default 2012 Civic Hybrid AC Thermal Switch

I have had my 2012 Civic Hybrid into a few different shops since the AC stopped cooling a couple of weeks ago. The consensus is that the thermal switch is bad and needs to be replaced. However, what no one can tell me is if the compressor itself is responsible for the switch failing. I'm trying to decide if I should preemptively replace the compressor when they do the switch. Has anyone else had this part fail on its own? Is it worth the extra $987 in parts? Or is it better to try to avoid paying labor twice?

Old 07-27-2020, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by direpants
I have had my 2012 Civic Hybrid into a few different shops since the AC stopped cooling a couple of weeks ago. The consensus is that the thermal switch is bad and needs to be replaced. However, what no one can tell me is if the compressor itself is responsible for the switch failing. I'm trying to decide if I should preemptively replace the compressor when they do the switch. Has anyone else had this part fail on its own? Is it worth the extra $987 in parts? Or is it better to try to avoid paying labor twice?
Did the switch fix your A/C? I'm in the same situation.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:38 AM
Default Another part failed

Originally Posted by Francis DeCarli
Did the switch fix your A/C? I'm in the same situation.
I decided to replace the whole AC. It worked great for about four months. Then one of the parts that converted the electricity to charge the lithium battery failed. I was looking at another $3,000 to repair the car. I decided to replace the vehicle rather than do another expensive repair. Essentially, I decided that I didn't want to sink the money with no way to know how much life was left in the hybrid battery. I wish I hadn't spent the money on the AC.