Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 Civic Seatbelt Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Default 89 Civic Seatbelt Issue

I have an 1989 Honda Civic, 4 Door LX.

Recently I started having issues with the front, passenger seat-belt. Parts of the red plastic button broke off jamming the seat-belt and making it extremely had to use.

This is on the Female part of the belt (clipping)

I also read that Honda has a lifetime warranty on seat-belts, and once a recall on 88-91 Civic that covered the seat belt's latching mechanism, which I think is my issue?

Does anyone know if Honda does cover lifetime warranty on this issue, or if it was recalled years ago, would it still be valid? Would I be charged labor for a change?

Thanks you everyone for your replies.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM

1989 HONDA CIVIC SEAT BELTS:FRONT:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY

The following SEAT BELTS:FRONT:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY recall/defect on 1989 HONDA CIVIC vehicles was reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety administration on 1995-05-24. For more information contact the National Highway Traffic Safety administration or the US Department of Transportation. See recall summary below.

Build Years/Makes/Models:

1986 - 1991 HONDA ACCORD
1986 - 1991 HONDA CIVIC
1986 - 1991 HONDA PRELUDE
1986 - 1990 ACURA LEGEND
1986 - 1991 ACURA INTEGRA
1991 ACURA NSX

UNits affected: 3700000

Recall Number: 95V103001

Summary: THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE RELEASE BUTTONS CAN BREAK. THESE RED PLASTIC RELEASE BUTTONS ARE MARKED "PRESS." IF A BUTTON BREAKS, PIECES CAN FALL INTO THE BUCKLE ASSEMBLY CAUSING THE BUCKLE TO OPERATE IMPROPERLY.

Consequence: THE SAFETY BELTS WOULD NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION TO AN OCCUPANT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy: OWNERS SHOULD PROMPTLY CHECK THE CONDITION AND OPERATION OF BOTH FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLES. CAREFULLY INSPECT THE RED RELEASE BUTTON FOR ANY BREAKS OR CRACKS. CHECK THAT BOTH BUCKLES ARE OPERATING PROPERLY BY INSERTING EACH LATCH PLATE INTO ITS BUCKLE, TUG ON THE BELT TO MAKE SURE THE LATCH IS SECURELY LOCKED, THEN PRESS THE RELEASE BUTTON. THE LATCH PLATE SHOULD POP OUT OF THE BUCKLE WHEN THE BUTTON IS PRESSED. IF EITHER RELEASE BUTTON SHOWS ANY SIGN OF BREAKAGE OR CRACKING, OR IF EITHER BUCKLE FAILS TO OPERATE PROPERLY, PROMPTLY CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED HONDA/ACURA DEALER TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE THE BUCKLE REPLACED OR REPAIRED, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER IS DEVELOPING A REMEDY DESIGNED TO PREVENT THE FAILURE OF THE BUTTONS THAT ARE NOT CURRENTLY BROKEN.

Notes: SYSTEM: INTERIOR; SEAT BELTS; BELT BUCKLES.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: 2-DOOR, 4-DOOR AND 5-DOOR PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH SAFETY BELTS MADE BY TAKATA CORPORATION.NOTE: IF YOUR VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER AT AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN A REASONABLETIME, PLEASE CONTACT HONDA/ACURA AT 1-800-999-1009. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

Noticed that on 89 Honda Civic recall (google)

I don't know if my car would still be covered?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Finally got a hold of someone at Honda who told me my VIN covers the recall, and it sounds like it is the same recall issue.

They booked me for an "inspection" on Monday to see if my issue if the one it is recalled for then possibly fix.

Answered own question, but glad these forums are here.