Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

89 crx w/ jdm d15b

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:41 AM
HCF Member
Default 89 crx w/ jdm d15b

I bought a 1989 crx si from a friend, he had put a obd1 harness in the car (hacked to hell) i put all new harnesses in from the tail lights to head lights out of a 90 civic. I am running a chipped p28 with a obd0 to obd1 jumper harness and i made a jumper harness for my obd1 dizzy. Well the car will NOT get a spark, i have tested the dizzy on another car and it works fine. Any ideas on why i cannot get a spark? I have checked all my grounds, any relays or anything that i could be missing??

Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check that the distributor rotates when the engine turns (bad timing belt or distributor not engaging the cam)

Check that battery voltage is reaching the black/yellow power wire on the distributor, both with the key at ON (II) and while cranking (III).

Check that the ECU is powering up (CEL goes on and back off when turning the key on but not cranking). Try to pull any trouble codes.

Double check the ground wires on the thermostat.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

double check your main relay as well

Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by finalimpact
double check your main relay as well
Sorry, the main relay does not control spark.

I agree with mk. Check whether the distributor receives battery voltage from the Blk/Yel wire when the ignition key is turned to ON(II) and whether any engine or transmission ground wires are loose, disconnected, or corroded. Also check whether fuse 31 or 32 in the main fuse box is blown.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

checked it out, i get power to the yellow black wire.
But when i turn on my headlights should it get power again when the key is NOT in the ignition.

but still, no spark.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

No, turning on the headlights should just turn on the headlights. Weird stuff like this is often a missing ground. Make sure there is never a voltage between the engine and battery minus (measured at the lead post of the battery, not the terminal). Or the body and battery minus.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Aaron_EX
checked it out, i get power to the yellow black wire. But when i turn on my headlights should it get power again when the key is NOT in the ignition.
but still, no spark.
As Mk says, you should measure battery voltage at the distributor wire ONLY when the key is turned to ON(II). Definitely carefully inspect all the engine and transmission ground wires.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
As Mk says, you should measure battery voltage at the distributor wire ONLY when the key is turned to ON(II). Definitely carefully inspect all the engine and transmission ground wires.
yeah it gets power, but it also gets power when the headlights were turned on, which should not happen. My gauge cluster reads all messed up, oil pressure light comes on when i turn on the bright lights, and check engine light when i turn on the headlights. Its hard to check if the ecu is getting power, but i know my fuel pump is.....

Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Really sounds like your ECU is not grounded, or other problems with the harness. I think it all grounds back to the engine. Pull up the diagram and measure each "ground" pin on the ECU back to battery minus as well.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Pull up the diagram and measure each "ground" pin on the ECU back to battery minus as well.
i dont have a voltage meter on me, could i some how check it with a test light?

Quick Reply: 89 crx w/ jdm d15b