Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 Civic, No Tail lights, dash or licence plate lights...Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Default 91 Civic, No Tail lights, dash or licence plate lights...Sometimes

Hey all,
Brand new to the forum and I came here looking for some help on a recent issue.
I've seen several similar threads but mine has a unique twist that I didn't see anywhere else, so apologies if this has already been covered.

Recently my dash lights went out, and when checking for the fuse I noticed that this fuse controls all three lights mentioned.
Fuse is fine, but here is the weird thing with my car. All three lights work fine if the parking lights are on. Once I switch to headlights all three go out.

I am assuming this might be the light/turn signal switch, but I don't want to just throw parts at it, so how do I test if this is faulty?
Or, what else might be the issue? I've seen the dimmer switch mentioned, but I don't see how that would be it if it works when the parking lights are on.

Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM

So, I changed out the light/turn switch and that did the trick (fortunately 1A Auto had one for pretty cheap).

But as I did so, I noticed that the wire chassis had some burnt out spots. Not sure if that was a result of the bad switch or the cause.
I'll look into fixing that soon...