Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

94 EX coupe problems..... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
HCF Member
Default 94 EX coupe problems..... HELP!

hey guys
First, I was wondering if anyone has a diagram of the power mirrors for my 94 ex. the car has aftermarket power mirrors that are 3 wire connections, the factory has a 4 wire connection. was wondering if there was any way I can cut/splice them to get them to work properly.... no clue what brand they are.

Second, my tachometer is only working when it wants to.... its got a aftermarket guage cluster and sometimes the tach works, sometimes it doesnt, no rhyme or reasoning behind it....? I figure it'd be a loose wire but I'll be damned if I can find the thing.... annoying.....

Also... I got a d15b2 engine (sohc that as far as I can tell came in a CRX? originally) that is giving me a check engine light after being driven for a few minutes (mainly on the highway), it doesnt seem to run bad and as far as I can tell there is nothing happening... just wondering if anyone would know why it would just kick on. (guess I need to go get it scanned, its just that it doesnt always do it, just randomly.)

Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
HCF Member
Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I'd suspect the aftermarket tach itself first. The tach signal starts at the distributor on a blue wire. Of course any tach also needs steady power and ground.

You can scan it yourself, it uses blink codes. The D15B2 is an older non-VTEC engine, CEL could be indicating VTEC fault. That would happen when you hit 5500 rpm and it tries to engage.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the manual download very kool. (20smoke)
Mk378, so the d15b2 is a non vtec engine? (didnt have a clue on that, it has a vtec cover and i could only assume it was a vtec.) That would make sense, it only does it when I really push on it and Ive been wondering why I couldnt feel the vtec kick in like I could back in the day on my 95 ex. I didnt know much about the d15b2 engine other than the mileage that is on the swap. any ideas how to up the horse power a bit??? My 95 was a basic 1.5 vtec and had little to NOTHING done to it.... the engine I have currently has a dc sport header and full cat back (2 1/2") and a short ram air intake. Runs great but if I could get a few more horsepower out of it I'd be happier... not trying to win any races, just want it to perform a bit better. (not a show car or a race car, just a decent little driver....) Thanks for the reply guys.