Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Del Sol will not start in rain and/or high humidity weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Default 95 Del Sol will not start in rain and/or high humidity weather?

Long time civic owner and enthusiast, first post here.

I have a 1995 Del Sol Si. When it had the D16 in it, on rainy or high humidity days the engine would crank, but would not fire and run. As soon as the humidity dropped it would crank right up.

It used to be an inconvenience, since it's a toy, and I could wait. I was too busy to diagnose, and hope the new CRVtech swap would cure that however.... it has not. Today I needed to move it to my shop from storage (from a recent move) and it was/is humid and has been raining for 2 days and nothing. A shot of starting fluid in the intake will make it fire, but it will not remain running, and it seems like a fuel starvation/fuel not working problem?

Has anyone seen this before or have any insight to offer on what/why it seems the high humidity or recent rain affects fuel supply? Relay? I've yet to dive in, because I need to get the car to my shop, and any insight beyond "wait until it's less humid" is appreciated!

Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM
HCF Member
Default no start when humid/wet

My 94 Civic did the same thing, though it may have been more of an instance of the weather conditions when the solder joints on the main relay finally became bad enough. Anyway, resolder the joints on the main relay, or, buy another. This fixed my intermittent problem that had a higher incidence when wet/humid.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx