Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 Honda Civic Turn Signals and Hazards don't work :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM

my dash doesnt work either. i dont know why i forgot to mention that. How would i know if the hazard switch is bad though?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by danomatic93
Will, if it's not the hazard switch or the combination switch your problem is somewhere in the wiring. Is anything else not working?
i took that into consideration as well, but it is weird that it's not just one buld, but all four so if it were to be th wiring, it would have to be somwhere before the wires split. where would that be though??

Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

the dash isnt working but idk if that would have anything to do with it because the headlights work just fine.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Look under the dash for any cut/spliced wires, alarm boxes-- anything that is not stock. If you find such work, restore the wiring to stock.

When you say "the dash is not working" you mean is it just the back lights so you can see at night, or nothing lights up? Most of the "idiot lights" and gauges work from the same fuse circuit as the turn signals, fuse #15 and yellow wires. Junction connector C507, which should be under the dash somewhere, is important to that circuit.

From the diagram, here are the wire functions at the hazard switch:

White-green: Power feed for hazard function. From fuse #43 under the hood, live all the time.
Yellow: Power feed for turn signal function. From fuse #15 under dash, live with key on.
Green-white: Power out into to the blinker relay.

When the switch is NOT pressed (normal operation), the yellow wire feeds to the green-white wire. If the switch IS pressed to turn on the hazards, the white-green wire feeds to the green-white wire.

Green-orange: Output of the blinker relay.
Green-blue: Lights on the left side of the car.
Green-yellow: Lights on the right side of the car.

These 3 wires are connected in parallel to the column switch. For normal turns when the driver throws the lever, a circuit is completed to either the left or right side lights and they start blinking. When the hazard button is pressed, it completes the circuit to both side lights so they all blink.

The red-black and red wires are just to illuminate the button.

Tests you can do: Unplug the hazard switch and work there. First check with a voltmeter that the white-green wire is indeed live all the time. Then connect a jumper from it to either the green-blue or the green-yellow. This will bypass all the switches and the blinker relay, the lights on the outside of the car and the arrow on the dash should come on steady.