Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic LX won't go above 2500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Default 98 Civic LX won't go above 2500 rpm

I'm not really a mechanic, though I've been able to perform a couple small repairs on my car, so thanks for any help you guys can give me.

I bought my car about 4 months ago. Had some issues getting the title and ended up having to let the car sit in my drive for about a month. Prior to that, it was running fine. I had to replace the dizzy, but was great after that.

Once I was able to start driving it again though, I discovered the alternator had seized. Once it was replaced it ran fine for all of ten minutes...

It started to idle really low and stall out on me on the drive home, but I managed to get it there. Once I got home, I turned the car off and let it sit for a half hour. I hopped back in and turned it on to find the CEL was now on. I decided to go ahead and take a quick ride around the block. This is when it stopped going above 23-2500 rpm in any gear. It basically sounds like it hits a wall right there. It then bounces between 2k and 2300 rpm rapidly as long as I'm holding the accelerator.

The vehicle has about 260k miles on it and in definite need of a tune-up. I trolled the forums for awhile looking for possible solutions and the best I came up with was the IACV is dirty, but for the life of me I can't figure out where it is to clean it. Checked Youtube and my manual for help on this front, but to no avail.