Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

98 Civic, problem with power locks and turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Default 98 Civic, problem with power locks and turn signal

I recently purchased a 98 Civic EX (previously owned a 90 Accord) and it has been doing great so far. But there are two problems I've been having with it so far that I think should be relatively easy to fix and would like some feedback on them.

The first problem is that the power locks do not work at all. I've checked the fuses and that isn't the problem. Does anybody know of any potential fixes for this, and if so how much would they cost? I don't think this makes any difference, but the car does have remote keyless entry, would getting the locks changed affect this? (I think the keyless entry works because when I push the lock and unlock buttons on it, the horn beeps and the light comes on inside the car).

My second problem is with the left turn signal. It is flashing very fast as if one of the bulbs is burned out (I had this problem on my Accord before and it went away when I replaced a burned out bulb). However, I have checked both the front and rear signals, and both of them are working just fine. What would cause the signal to behave as if one of the signals isn't working?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 98 Civic, problem with power locks and turn signal

As for the turn signal, have you tried replacing the relay?

On the power locks you might just have a connector that came loose. Pull off the door trim and check all the connections. Try locking the door and listen for a clicking sound from the little grey box at the front of the drivers side door.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Default RE: 98 Civic, problem with power locks and turn signal

With the power locks, it could be the actuator, open wire, or bad control unit. I had the same problem with my 92 LX, and it was an open wire coming out of the driver's side door. I think rainwater kept seeping into the connector and eventually corroded a wire. If you can confirm that power is getting to the control unit, this is a big step in knowing where the problem is. The control unit is in the driver's side door, so you will need to remove the door panel to gain access.