Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 civic lx a/t transmisson sliping, no shift & pop out

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Default 99 civic lx a/t transmisson sliping, no shift & pop out

Hi I just bought a 98 civic ex w/99 civic lx trans. First the car over heated on the way home, ended up being a frozen thermostat & blown head gasket, fixed that and it drove beautifully for about 4 days then on my way to work I noticed my rpms fluctuating and 30mi later right before I got to work I stopped at a red light an when it turned green I pushed the gas and the rpms went up but the car didn't move, pushed it into the gas station turned it off checked for leaks (none) tyranny fluid full but dirty. Bought lucus oil stop slip dumped a quart of oil an filled with lucus. Kinda worked, I can get it to drive slow an sometimes it will shift but rarely into 3rd&4th, when it does go into 4th it will stay for about 5mi then pops into 3rd no matter how fast I'm going, I then have to pull over , shut off, wait 5min , an start all over again slowly gaining speed hoping it will shift. Got it home did a trans flush, checked tcc solenoid (clicks) same with the trans control solenoid. IDK if the linear solenoid is the same but it doesn't click, I've inspected wires from computer to engine everything seems good. Not much of an automatic guy but I wanted to give it a try an now I'm in over my head, any advice would be helpful, an yes cel is on an I haven't yet checked the codes.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 AM

I say first thing is pull the codes to see what's not working properly. I'm not an automatic guy either so that's about as far as I can help with.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Default Got codes

Well I did the self check by counting lights some don't make sense, turned to on position cel blinks : 4long with 1short , pause 4long with 5short, pause, 7long, pause, then repeats. Turned off then on an counted the d4 blinks: 4long with 1short, pause, 2short, pause, 4long, pause, then repeats. Looked it up an the only code that matched was the o2 sensor