Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner Element

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
HCF Member
Default Air Cleaner Element

My dad just took his 02' Civic EX for his 90k tuneup today and they couldn't get the air filter cover off because they said it was "stripped." They wanted $300 to fix it, so I told him no way don't do it I'll do it myself. So he came home and it was indeed stripped. Any ideas on why this would happen? The screws turn, but just won't come out. Any suggestions on how to get them out would be great thanks.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Air Cleaner Element

300 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!! O HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

but get a picture......

if its a screw.... try to pry a flat screw driver between the two pieces and then same time try to turn the screw with the screw driver........

but if a place told me 300bucks.... id flip em off and get in my car and NEVER LOOK BACK!!!!!!
its either a plastic retainer thats striped... or just needs alittle larger screw to replace it tha twould bite into the plastic.. tho youd have to drill the top cover hole alittle larger so it doenst bite on it.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM

Just get a file and use the edge of it to file out the middle so you can get a screw driver in there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1106/74C9A21382E44A9AA864D333E4351E77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well he says the screw turns..... so its not the head of the screw thats striped.... but the threads...

Old 03-06-2007, 06:35 AM
HCF Member

I'm almost positive it's not the screws themselves, but the threads on the casing. The thing I don't understand is the top and bottom piece of the cover both have threading on them and you would think that if the bottom threads were ruined, the top would still be ok to allowthe screw toget a bite and come out. I put a wrench on one of them and started twisting and pulling and started making some progress. I'm going to use the screwdriver technique and try to pry it out. How 4 of the 6 are stripped is beyond me.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

I almsot stripped out our CR-V that way, I did manage to rip the PCV valve off of it, high temp silicone FTW there, lemme tell ya.

But for real.. They probably screw into plastic, and the plastic strips like nobodies business. If you try the pry trick, turn while prying, it might help the screw find its threads, then when you get it out, you can re-drill the screw holes and move up another size or what not. Or fill it and re-drill it, either way.

It's for sure no 300.00 job, call that place and laugh at them.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya well... depending on your location..... if ya dont get your car tested (cannt remember name of it now.lol )
but if they dont inspect your car evey year..... just think of it this way... TIME TO UPGRADE TO A NICE INTAKE... alot cheaper than 300bucks im sure.LMFAO and looks sweet!

BUT if ya just want to fix it.. its kinda easy with a few things...

one plastic epoxy from autozone...
and take the screw with you to your local hardware store and with the screw find a rod... either steel... plastic or wood... doesnt matter... just have the shaft the size of screws shaft NOT THE THREADS!!!!!!!!

then alittle aluminum foil.......

first drill the holes out just alittle more, then wrap alittle foil around the rod, then put alittle foil or tape on the LID then fill the holes with the plastic epoxy then use the rods with foil and put the lid down and then jab them thru the lids tape and into the holes filled with the epoxy.... then... just wait to dry.... pull the rods out and then id let try overnight THEN put a few drips of oil or soap on the screws and slowly screw them into the new holes and the threads will dig into the epoxy making threads AND dont tighten them that tight!

BUT PERSONALY.... id do a nice air intake and never have to worry about stripen the plastic threads again

Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

haha addiction2bass I totally agree with you. when my dad told me the problem I was like cheaper to get an intake instead of buying new part. but seeing as those he's 58 years old, he's not really feeling the intake. why i don't know. without me knowing it he ordered the entire cover from the honda dealer including filter for i think around $120 so i'm just going to replace the entire piece or salvage what i can, and then maybe sell whatever is left over. thanks for all your help.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya well just be sure he doesnt tighten it down id just snug the screws....