Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

bad vacuum leak. need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM
HCF Member
Default bad vacuum leak. need help ASAP

hi all, i have a 97 civic hx with the d16y5 motor and recently ran into some problems. my idle air control valve went out and was told i could fix it by spraying carb cleaner in there. it was doing all the usuall of a bad iacv, rpms going up and down and the car jerking when i come to a stop-n-go. so i took off my throttle body to get to it, and turned it over to find out somebody had jb welded part of the iacv to the throttle body where they bolt together.

so i was then forced to just spray carb cleaner in there as good as i can. i bolt everything back up, connect all the wires and two hoses and now it's gotten even worse. when i crank the car, it automatically just revs up to 3 rpms for a sec, then up to 4 then goes back down all the way and dies unless i pump it some throttle. when i put it in any kind of drive, if you don't instantly give it gas it also dies. although, when i'm driving down the road it runs fine. my intake has an extremely loud noise coming out of it also. so loud that when i'm on the road and let off the gas you can hear it bad. i'm not a complete idiot, i know it's a vacuum leak of sorts. i changed the gasket out and all. idk what to do. i'm trying to sell it to get a teggy but no way can i sell it in this condition.

if somebody could please help, i'd appreciate it.