Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Angry Admin
Default Battery?

Okay here's the issue, i believe that my battery is still drawing power from my 97 Civic Ex when the vehicle is turned off. I have an alpine head unit with an ipod hookup, i leave the ipod hooked up all the time, could the ipod be drawing power causing my battery to slowly die?

Old 07-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Battery?

Make sure the connections to the battery are clean and tight, this can make you think the battery is dead when it's not. Then you put jumper cables on and bump the connections, and of course it starts right up.

The obvious test is to disconnect the battery when you park the car, then reconnect it just before you try to start it the next time. If the battery is still dead your battery is just shot. You can also have the battery load-tested to make sure it still holds charge. Most parts stores will do that test for free (because they sell batteries...).

Check that the dome light and the light in the hatch area or trunk (if equipped) are not stuck on.

If you have external amplifiers in your stereo system make sure that they power down when the key is off. Charging an ipod or a cell phone, even for days, should not be using enough power to run the car battery down.