Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bucking issue on new to me 95 civic with JDM engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 AM
Default Bucking issue on new to me 95 civic with JDM engine

I just purchased a 95 Honda Civic that was converted from an auto to 5 speed. I have a couple issues going on and the PO will no longer communicate as to what he did or what I can do.

After the car has run a while, especially at low speeds, the car will start bucking (only in gear) The only way I can make it stop is either ride it out for about 10 seconds or up shift which is difficult when I'm already in 5th. The car runs very rich. I can guess that might have something to do with it but I'd like your guidance as to what can be done to adjust the mixture.

May or may not be related but for no rhyme or reason the car will just die for about 5 seconds and then move on like nothing happened. I keep meaning to look at tach but it happens so unexpectedly that I am more shocked and looking for a place to pull over but then it fixes itself by nothing that I do and I move on.

Also, when starting or after driving and coming to a stop, the engine will rev from 1000-2000 rpms for about 20 seconds and then calm down.

The specifics as relayed by PO:

When asked "Is there a diagnostic connection for ECU"
His response "From the automatic thing that used to lock the shifter in gears, the only way to disarm that is to resolder the shifter resistor" also "Bolt on replacement parts should be 1.5 but internals 1.6 nonvtev"

engine is JDM ZC 1.6

Any suggestions as to what could help?