Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't remove lower control arm from ball joint!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
HCF Member
Default can't remove lower control arm from ball joint!!!!!!!!

so I'm trying to replace the front lower control arm bushings and I'm good to go with everything....but the lower ball joint.

I cannot get the arm to separate from the lower ball joint. I'm trying to use one of those ball joint separators and I tore the boot(i have energy suspension ball joint boots for backup).

Should I just keep messing with the ball joint separator or what? Please help

Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

they just need a little gentle persuasion, me and my bro pounded mine out using a sledge hammer. if you or somebody you know has one. then used the ball joint kit to press the new ones in.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

beat the shist out of the pickle fork with a big hammer, it will come out eventually, dont worry about ruining anyting if you have new ball joints it will be fine.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

well this is what I used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

tried an old 1/2" socket wrench, ended up snapping the close end, used the handle of a ball joint remover bar instead, took a dead blow hammer to part sticking out and came free with ease.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with my lower balljoints i tried several ball joint removal tools from autozone and none of them worked... only thing they did was destroy the threads on the balljoint....

what ive found that works every time is the fork and a BIG FU**EN SLEDGE!!!!
simply put the fork between the balljoint and lower control arm around the bottom of the balljoints rubber seal and give it a hard wack!!!!!! or a few... first time i poped mine it took about a dozen wacks!!!!!!!

only damage ive had from it is it tearing the rubber boot covering the balljoint...

only thing i recomend is if you are keeping that balljoint pull the rubber boot off and wipe all the old grease off it and the balljoint and repack the boot and balljoint with new grease.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

i wouldnt have thought those forks worked. the ball joints are fairly flush mounted. when we did it, we layered washers, up to the thread on the balljoint, then tightened the nut. so it was held straight. then knocked them out with the BFH.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well when i tried to just beat out the threaded end i smashed the threads and destroyed the nut. it was a real mess! i had to grind the smashed head down so it would go thru the LCA hole since it spread so fat after smashing it with a hammer and trying 2 of those clamp around arms with the bolt to push the shaft thru the LCA which didnt work at all.

this is what at least the 92-95 balljoints look like. i used the same fork tool on my 99ex when i changed its axle so they are probably the same.....

that tool sucked!!!!!!

the old simply fork and BFH worked out best for me at least....

Last edited by addiction2bass; 02-13-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

use a heavy punch and hammer and hit the mount on the control arm, the vibrations will generally loosen it up. If not, try giving it a little heat since the boots already torn.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Default Where can I find replacement boots for the ball joint?

Hi Guys,

I was able to get my ball joint loose but I destroyed the ball joint boot in the process. Where can I get a replacement? Autozone and Napa don't sell Honda replacements. I have a 2001 Civic LX.

Thanks!!!