Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Default a couple questions

allright guys i got some questions for you all.

i am thinking about doing some racing on a dragstrip or some autocross stuff. nothing big just some fun stuff. i have also been working my butt off at my new job so i am about to come into some nice money.

1. my car comes with the d16a6 motor. now i read about these mini me swaps and was wondering if it is possible that i put a d16y8 head on my d16a6 block. if so how hard is it to do and what am i looking at money wise.

2. i am getting a bit tall for my car now and i noticed that my friend has a 91 CRX and when i drive his car i have a ton of leg room. is it possible that i find me a nice set of CRX seats and swap them into my 89 hatchback SI?

i also need to find some rims that weigh less than the rims i have now i have stock ones.

one last thing. the last time i drove my friends CRX it seemed really sluggish in the low rpms when you first start off. we both have the same motor the d16a6. he has a SRI and i think a axleback muffler. is it possible that my car has some internal upgrades that i wouldnt know about?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: a couple questions

If you want to find out info of the mini-me swap and other upgrades, there is a thread all about how to get power out of a D series engine. Look under "engine and internal" at the top of the column. Very good write up done.

For the seat conversion I'm pretty sure you will need to do some fabricateing like welding and such.

On most rims/tires websites they show the weight of each style rim, you want to get a light rim but also durable so go with a well known brand.

The way most honda engines are made, they have more power/torquein the higher rpms and suffer in the lower end. Bigger cat-back exhaust pipeinggives you even better upper rpm power because of thespeedierairflow,but with the cost of even lower power at the bottom because of the less restrictive airflow.