Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CRAZY!? - Bouncing Tach and Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Default CRAZY!? - Bouncing Tach and Loss of Power

After 3 weeks of patiently waiting for the Honda dealer to fix my 2002 Civic LX - I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands! Hopefully the experts on this forum can help me out??

Issue: It seems that on warm/hot days, while driving, the tach will intermittently drop to zero, and my check engine light will flash on, but then regulate itself and go back to normal. It is a super quick drop of the tach and quick loss of engine power. When/if this continues for half a dozen times within a few miles, the tach will eventually drop and stay at 0rpms, the temp gauge will drop to cold, and the check engine light will stay on. The last time this happened it seemed like the automatic transmission locked itself in a high gear? It was slow going as I tried to accelerate from a dead stop. If I pull over, and restart the car, it will act like there was never a problem!

No codes are being shown at all, so mechanics haven't really been able to help me since it's intermittent. I have seen similar posts but I have not seen the solution.

PLEASE HELP! I need my car back!! Thanks.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Sounds electrical. There's no way the temp gauge will drop cold while running. I'd check the car's ECU. Swap it with a known working one and see how that goes.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Default Sensors

This sounds like a real tach problem. That is, the sensor that reads rpm really isn't working. Without it the ECM cannot advance the timing therefore no power, and even shift the gears. Check the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. They do work or the car would not start. However, they are not reading the rpm as the car runs. Many times these problems do not set codes.

Last edited by Easy Fixer; 08-01-2012 at 07:44 PM.