Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dome light flickering with doors closed

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Default Dome light flickering with doors closed

OK, this is weird. Went to the garage this morning, and noticed that our '98 Civic EX 4-door was making a faint, non-rythmic almost "groaning" sound from under the hood, obviously some kind of electrical sound. Also, the dome light was flickering randomly. The keys were out of the ignition, and all the doors were closed.

Anyone know what this might be before I call a shamen to exorcise the demons from my car?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Groaning under hood -- Was the radiator fan running?

Dome light flickering -- check each door switch and the dome light switch.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it still has the factory radio, the radio controls the dome light in those, as part of the keyless entry system. Maybe the battery has run down, various electronic parts tend to go haywire when that happens. Is the battery dead now?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Incorrect statement deleted.

Last edited by RonJ; 08-18-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. When I noticed this, I got in the car, and it fired right up - no battery drain. I played with the dome light switch, and it turned on and off normally. I was on the way to work (on a motorcycle, the Civic is the wife's car), so I didn't have time to do any other diagnosing.

The noise wasn't the fan under the hood, and didn't sound like an electrical motor running - more like a solenoid or a relay struggling to move.

My wife just told me that the car runs fine, but now the keyless remote doesn't work.

The car still has the factory radio. I recently replaced the keyless remote fob with a new one, and it programmed just fine and has been working good.

Guess I'll try to reprogram the remote and see what happens. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Gone in 60
OK, this is weird. Went to the garage this morning, and noticed that our '98 Civic EX 4-door was making a faint, non-rythmic almost "groaning" sound from under the hood, obviously some kind of electrical sound. Also, the dome light was flickering randomly. The keys were out of the ignition, and all the doors were closed.

Anyone know what this might be before I call a shamen to exorcise the demons from my car?
If the noise you are hearing is what I think it is it's the fuel vapor cannister venting. My 2000 Prelude does it, and both of my 2000 Civic Ex's do it too. It kind of sounds like an animal moaning/crying underneath a towel or a squeaky deflating balloon. This noise lasts about three seconds and sometimes repeats every ~15min.

Last edited by TheJGB3; 08-19-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 AM

Hmmm... The fuel vapor venting makes sense. Kind of sounds like what you described. I reprogrammed the remotes, and all seems to be working well for now. The door switches all seem to work fine. Wonder what that was all about.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Gone in 60
Thanks for the quick responses, guys. When I noticed this, I got in the car, and it fired right up - no battery drain. I played with the dome light switch, and it turned on and off normally. I was on the way to work (on a motorcycle, the Civic is the wife's car), so I didn't have time to do any other diagnosing.

The noise wasn't the fan under the hood, and didn't sound like an electrical motor running - more like a solenoid or a relay struggling to move.

My wife just told me that the car runs fine, but now the keyless remote doesn't work.

The car still has the factory radio. I recently replaced the keyless remote fob with a new one, and it programmed just fine and has been working good.

Guess I'll try to reprogram the remote and see what happens. Any other ideas?

Thank you!
change the battery in the remote. this happened to me when the battery in my remote goes out. change it and just reprogram it and it will solve the problem.
not sure why it does this but pretty weird when it does it.
hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 AM

Did that, thanks jsusanka. Everything has been working fine for the last few days. Hope whatever it is went away...

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by jsusanka
change the battery in the remote. this happened to me when the battery in my remote goes out. change it and just reprogram it and it will solve the problem.
not sure why it does this but pretty weird when it does it.
hope this helps.
Good info.