Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver side window won't work (help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: driver side window won't work (help)

ORIGINAL: import4life

sorry for a dumb question but where exactly is the motor going to be located can't seem to locate it or maybe i'm just not looking in the right place

By the way, the picture shows a disassembled door with the window motor (highlighted) attached to the window regulator.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/D732C2ECC35F48DDB9C36BBA5BA018C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2007, 07:12 AM
HCF Member

is there a way to take off the window motor without taking the whole window regulator out

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

i also forgot to mention that for some reason my passenger window doesn't work any more. checked fuse and its ok. now what can be the cause of both windows not working not even making a sound or anything?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

is there a way to take off the window motor without taking the whole window regulator out
I think you need to remove the regulator to replace the motor.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i also forgot to mention that for some reason my passenger window doesn't work any more. checked fuse and its ok. now what can be the cause of both windows not working not even making a sound or anything?
Use a test light or multimeter to check whether both door switches are sending power to the connector for each respective window motor. If power is detected, replace the motors. If no power is detected, trace backwards through the circuit, starting with the switches, to find the problem. Use the same approach to troubleshoot your door lock problem, starting with the lock actuator in the door.

The picture shows the electrical components of the power window system.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/B4F07293614C45208D446E248A2DFFF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

was their any previous indications of ur window going out, like would it roll down real slow or would it roll down smoothly?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

no previous indication that i know of. plus just bought car 3 days ago already with the problem

Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 AM

I have a similar problem with the driver's side power window. It won't close the final 1". It lowers smoothly and raises up to the final inch, but then it stops. You can hear the window motor turning and see the window trying to close the last inch, but something seems to be off track. I took the door apart but couldn't see or feel any broken parts. An auto glass guy I talked to said it was probably the regulator. Can someone confirm this diagnosis?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: olesparkie
I have a similar problem with the driver's side power window. It won't close the final 1". It lowers smoothly and raises up to the final inch, but then it stops. You can hear the window motor turning and see the window trying to close the last inch, but something seems to be off track. I took the door apart but couldn't see or feel any broken parts. An auto glass guy I talked to said it was probably the regulator. Can someone confirm this diagnosis?
The problem is likely the window regulator or that the window is binding in the side guide channels. The latter problem could indicate that the window or regulator has become loose. Alternatively, putting some lubricant in the guide channels might also solve the problem.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Kind of a remote possibility but sometimes the wires break where they flex every time you open the door. They even look OK on the outside but the copper breaks on the inside. Check everything thru carefully watching the diagram so you know which wires should be live and where they go dead.
I believe this is the problem that I am having. I noticed that the driver side power mirror had stopped working. When I started investigating I noticed that when I had the drivers side door open the power mirror adjuster would work. Looks like when the bundle of wires that power the driver side door are flexed (opening door) it made the connection. Here is where I made the mistake... with the door opened I moved the bundle of wires with my hand. I did not pull on the bundle , just simply moved it to test it's flexibility. After I did that I was never able to get the driver side power mirror to work with the door open again.... and worse the driver side power window was down at the time and it too stopped working.
Should I go ahead and replace the wiring harness that resides between the driver side door and car?

Last edited by eisenberg; 02-14-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply: driver side window won't work (help)