Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drove With Emergency Brake On, Regular Breaks Failed

Old 08-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Default Drove With Emergency Brake On, Regular Breaks Failed

What's up guys. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Friend borrowed car left E brake on, I dumbly didn't realize and drove it about 10 miles with it on. For some reason my car's emergency brake indicator light doesn't turn on. Oh well.

As I was driving it I felt it behaving strangely.. most notably that when I would apply the brake, most of the times it just went down to the floor with no resistance and didn't brake the car.

At first I thought I was hitting the acceleration by accident because I had been driving a truck all day and thought maybe I had gotten used to the trucks pedals..

But then I realized, no I was hitting the brake and it wasn't applying.. and I had been smelling a subtle burning rubber smell... Oh **** ****.

Few seconds later realized the E brake was on, switched it off.. I forget if I was moving or stopped when I turn it off... Let's just assume I was moving when I did because that would probably be the most damaging.

Anyway.. Even after I turned it off.. the brakes still didn't work properly.. It was scary to say the least. Pumped the brakes and they started to work a slightly better.

Made it home in one piece. In the driveway I pumped them a little more and tested them out and now they seem to work again. But I'm nervous that something still could be very wrong.

I've driven it around to the store, couple miles.. seems to have no problems. But I am still concerned. Do you think this warrants taking it into a mechanic?

And what is the most likely damage that I caused?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

the brakes overheated and the fluid started to boil i would flush the brake fluid system. only use honda brand fluid.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 08-19-2015 at 04:21 PM.