Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

electrical problem? Loss of turn signals, gauges(oil,tacometer,speed,rpm stop workin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Unhappy electrical problem? Loss of turn signals, gauges(oil,tacometer,speed,rpm stop workin?

I have no idea what could be wrong...The previous owner kinda chopped wires and put back poorly on parts of the car. At first i jus kept havin bulbs blow, but recently loss all lights, now have headlights,hazard and brake lights, but neither of my turn signals are workin and now on the dash, my speedometer,tacometer,oil,rpm dont work...THe back light comes on wen lights are on but nothing else...We checked fuses, the relay, fuses under hood, all the bulbs are good..I have no clue what is goin on...And its fustrating, any help, answers? Also have an oil leak coming from front of engine near tranny, not sure where exactly its leakin? and my power steering fluid keeps draining but dont see any leakin on the ground....

Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 AM

and this is a 95 civic ex 1.6 vtec 5 spd

Old 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check that you don't have excessive voltage from the alternator, that will blow out bulbs early and cause other problems. With the engine running but everything else turned off, measure voltage at the battery -- should be under 15 volts.

The turn signals and the hazards share almost everything except they feed from different fuses, also the turn signals go through the switch on the column but the hazards don't. Power for the hazard function comes from a fuse under the hood that is always live and the turn signals from a fuse under the dash that is controlled by the key switch. Check that the turn signal fuse under the dash is getting power. I think that feed comes from a different circuit in the key switch than the one that runs the engine. But if the wiring has been modified, all bets are off of course.