Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

EM1 Jerk Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Default EM1 Jerk Problem

My wife's 2000 Civic SiR (in Canada...in the US I believe it's just an SI...B16A2 anyways) jerks lightly (sometimes not so lightly) when you let off the gas. Even when you really slowly let off the gas it jerks; it does this in every gear. I ran a search on this problem and was only able to find that a lot of people would seem to blame this problem on faulty engine mounts. I don't think that is the problem here. Her CEL is throwing a code 4 indicating a problem with the Crank Position Sensor. I understand that this sensor is in the distributor and that to replace it I'd need to purchase the whole dist. sub assembly (or distributor). Is it reasonable to conclude that a problem with the CPS would cause this kind of jerkiness? It only happens after about ten minutes of driving. Could the coil inside the distributor be overheating and interfering with the CPS sensor?

Lastly, if I did settle on replacing the distributor, then has anyone ever purchased a distributor from the EBay store Distributor King? These things are going for like 150 American and that is about $100 US cheaper that I could find one for in the city here.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

P.S. I ran a thread on Honda-Tech and got pretty much zero response to this so do HCF proud and help a brother out!!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: EM1 Jerk Problem

Yes a cps sensor could do that, and yes distributor king is a good seller, both me and forty04 bought distributors from him.

before u go and buy a distributor, i would check the wiring to make sure it is not just bad wiring etc. a posable reason why it only hapens after 10 min could be that the car is running in closed loop because it is cold, and then switches to open loop when it warms up.