Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine mount problem-lower drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
tjn
Default engine mount problem-lower drivers side

Working on the 1996 civic lx tonight and saw the driver's side lower engine mount is completely shot (bushing torn up) and also that someone previously tried to remove the mount but could not gt it out. I actually could move the engine mount around and it rattled quite a bit because the bolts were loosely attached. So, I put a socket/wrench on it and both bolts just kept moving/spinning freely but not coming out. Am I missing something? It seems there is a nut holding them on inside the frame rail and that it is rusted up in there, causing the bolt to spin freely. I am guessing if I put tension on the mount, the bolts should come out, however, how in the world do I then put new bolts over new nuts which I cannot access? The bolts go into the frame rail and there is no hole or access panel to hold or put on the nut to the bolt... Am I missing something here?
Also, if this is a DIY, is it difficult to put a new mount on and are there any tips to follow?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 AM
HCF Member

No there are no nuts inside your frame rails, those are threaded for the bolts. Sounds like they are striped out, like you said your going to have to put a pry bar between the mount and the frame, put tension on it and then loosen the bolt. Then you are prob going to have to chase the threads. Good luck