Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ENGINE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Default ENGINE PROBLEMS

ok i have a 2000 si and i just got it. and i was driving it and there was a loud knocking noise but didnt know what it was and when i was pulling over the engine shut off. i popped my hood and there was sizzling and little smoke coming from just under the valve cover. i put some oil in it because it had almost none. got it almost to my house and the knocking noise got louder only when i stepped on the gas but when i just glided it was nothing. and when i tried to turn my car back on it doesnt turn over. it just clicks and tries but nothing. so i need to know what im dealing with

Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: ENGINE PROBLEMS

Your engine has probably seized up from running without oil. If that's the case it is basically ruined and a new engine will be required.

See if you can turn it by hand using a socket wrench on the bolt on the pulley on the bottom left end of the engine (transmission must be in neutral and the parking brake set). A good engine can be turned by hand with moderate effort.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like u either broke a rod bearing, which u'll need a whole new bottom end, or u broke a valve and now need to rebuild ur head, and possibly pistons if there was damage done to the cyclinder that had the broken valve. Anyway u look at it, it won't be cheap.....sorry to hear bro....good luck though.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

your timing belt might have also broken if your engine had no oil in it.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:40 AM

Take the spark plugs out and examine them. If they look like you have beat them with a hammer I expect your engine is screwed cause a valve broke off and beat them up likely before it punched holes in the pistons. If they just look dirty then thats good,

Take the valve cover off and examine the valves for damage, cracks, bent, broken valve seals etc .. Look at the timing belt to see if it is snapped.

Overheating can ruin an engine. Over heating cause of no oil is caused by friction and is even worse.

Perhaps you will get lucky and nothing is damaged and adding oil will fix it.

I doubt it. Perhaps the top half was ruined and you can fix it by replacing the head. My guess for best ouytcome.

Perhaps the engine is trashed and you need to buy a used engine and stick it in.

Take the plugs out first. Take the valve cover off second.

Make sure it has the right amount of oil and rad fluid.