Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Wont start ..plz help!!!! (95 Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Default Engine Wont start ..plz help!!!! (95 Civic)

Car wont start...arghhh

here goes. just bought a 95 Civic a few months ago. Great ride. Only problem that I have been having was just a shuttering feeling in the steering wheel while driving @ 60-80mph. I have after market rims so im planning on purchasing some hub centric rims to take care of that. But thats not my problem today. Just friday my car would not start. Good thing my buddy was there and hey gave my a push start( stick shift). So just today i went and purchased a new starter and replaced it. figured that would fix the problem

symptom:
starter wont crank when i turn the ignition switch.

So i read in the Haynes manual to try jump starting it with a jumper cable from the battery to the solenoid connector. That turned on the car, but was the only way it would turn on.

So im thinking its the ignition switch. Is there any way that I can ck to see if its the ignition switch without actually swapping it out with a new one first. Hate to waste the money if the ignition switch is not the culprit. Btw, where is the battery relay located? Could that be my problem?

Also,
While jump starting it from the battery to the solenoid i noticed a tapping from the heater motor relay. Have to go purchase that tomm. Can that possibly be affecting the starting of the car. Im thinking that the blower switch was on when trying to turn on the car so thats why the relay is tapping. So tomm morning before going to purchase the heat motor relay i will make sure the heat switch is completely off before trying to turn the ignition switch. thinking that will stop the tapping noise from the relay..

Any help fellas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million!!!
[&o][&o][&o]

Old 05-29-2006, 12:06 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Wont start ..plz help!!!! (95 Civic)

The culprit might be either the clutch switch or the ignition key. Try this test real quick, turn the headlights on and crank the car. If the headlights do not go dim then the starter isn't drawing any current. What you can also do is put the car in the crank position and put a screwdriver across the 2 terminals of the starter solenoid (not the power wire to the starter, big and thick, but the wire that comes from the ignition). If the car starts up, then you have a problem with the wiring to the starter. Check the clutch switch first cause its pretty easy, disconnect the clutch switch and short it with a paperclip and see if it starts. Make sure ur car is in N.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Engine Wont start ..plz help!!!! (95 Civic)

thanks for the ideas. Will try it sometime today..