Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Cranking Required

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Default Excessive Cranking Required

I have a 93 Civic which is starting to take longer than normal to start up. It takes usually around five or so cranks to get started, but once its running it runs smooth. I live in a warm climate so the weather is not really an issue. I have also noticed that if I drive it around for errands or whatever the problem during starting doesn't get any better and sometimes it can actually be worse. I have stored the car on 2 occasions for over 3 months, but I used a fuel stabilizer. I am not sure if its the filter, pump, or perhaps electrical (ignition coil)?

Also, I have noticed that my speedometer is jumping back and forth. It seems to be timed with the engine somewhat. If I hear the transmission change gears (auto) often the needle will jump at that point. Especially at around 50-60 mph when it seems to be deciding between 4th and 5th gear. As of recently this problem seems to have gone away....its pretty fickle.

I have a nickle size hole in my exhaust pipe right before the muffler....not sure if this could be associated with either of these problems. Also, the check engine light has come on a few times, but has also gone away for some time now.

Thanks in advance for any help.