Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing my own A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Default Fixing my own A/C?

Here's my 97 Civic EX's problem. The air conditioning doesn't work in the car simply because power/signal isn't getting to the compressor. We've been able to make sure the compressor still works by hot wiring it directly to the batter....compressor still kicks on and cools the car.....but somewhere along the chain from where you press the button in the car to the compressor something is wrong. I tried swapping relaysaround but that didn't do anything.....is it most likely a problem with the interior button itself, or is the electric wire maybe broken somewhere? Is it easy to fix myself? Keep in mind I don't hardly know anything about cars. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Fixing my own A/C?

well I would say pull the wires off the back of the button. Put a meter on the wires and see if you have power. If there is power that tells you the wires aren't broke. You could probably also test the button (switch) to see if it's working or not.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

The other day my AC refused to work, I was totaly pissed as it was pretty hot, and I just wanted a cool short trip to the BBQ joint for lunch at work. I ran it one way and the other forever trying to make it work, then when i got back to work I popped the hood to look, compressor fan wasn't turning, damn..

So when I looked closer at the plug, I noticed it was just slightly off it's connector thingi there, and when i pressed it firmly back onto its little plug the fan kicked on, sheww... big problem tiny fix.

Check to make sure all your plugs are lined up and no prongs are bent or what not. Check fuses, then test wiring if you need to. Could just be a little pin that dropped out somewhere, even the switch in the car might be bad. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was super simple.

Good luck !

Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 AM

You could always just run a new wire connected to a toggle switch and mount it somewhere on/under the dash.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

i would do what wirphotos said, start with the console, and work your way forward

97 black civic... why does everyone want to do it the half assed way all the time now, i could maby understand if he tried everything else, but right from the get go?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:30 PM

Just a suggestion.
I didn't know I was everyone.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 AM
HCF Member

no, not implying you are everyone, its just everyday, there are more and more hack solutions. but i dont want to thread jack.