Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Default Fuel consumption

Hi folks, my first post here.

4 months ago I have bought a brand new Type S 2.2 Diesel (manual gear box).
According to the Honda marketing propaganda it should do about 54mpg combined. I always try to drive quite consevatively and make sure I keep the economy LEDs lit up as much as possible.

Most mileage I do is from home to work, which is about5 miles of slow city traffic and 27 miles motorway each way. So far I have done about 4500 miles and I am only getting a disappointing 41mpg out of it. Would you say that is normal?

Appreciate your input.
(I'm talking about UK gallons btw)

Old 09-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Angry Ex 2.2 mpg

Hi

My 1st time on the site and I meet a kindred spirit.

I got my brand new EX 2.2 diesel in April and have done 10,500 miles so far, mainly going to & from vavious places of work (about 30-60% urban & motorway use).

After a few weeks I went to see my Honda service dept. because of the poor fuel consumption (I was getting about 41-42mpg driving carefully) and was told to let the car loosen up (about 5-6000 miles).

To cut a long story short, after sending an e-mail with spreadsheet fuel chart attached (and this being forwarded to Honda UK) my car went in to have the consumption checked by Honda technicians at about 9,500 miles and I was told that the consumption was "Normal" but they would log the details and pass it on to customer services.

That was 29th August and I'm still waiting for customer services to contact me.

Needless to say I am very dissapointed with my fuel consumption and will fight on.

PS the best I have managed on a long run and with plenty of time is 46mpg!!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Their fuel economy estimates are probably calculated with the car and an "average" driver in mind. Do you have an aftermarket audio system in the car with a heavy box for subwoofers? Or do you have a lot of stuff in the trunk?...(or, boot in the UK?) Back seat? Passenger seat? I have found that since I installed four 10s in my trunk, I haven't been able to break 33 mpg, highway, city, or combined. And since I am a bigger guy, my mpg isn't as spectacular as it would be if I were a few kilos lighter.

Even proper tire inflation helps a little.