Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

got a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Question got a few issues

i have a 00 civic lx completely stock and ive come across a few issues and could really use some expert advice, so heres my issues:.

1. Engine completely shuts its self off occasionally.
let me explain, at least 3 or 4 days out of the week as i slow down coming to a stop light as i reach the 10-15 mph range i can feel that my motor quiets down to nothing (i have a front motor mount bad so i know it should be shaking still) but once i stop on these occasions my battery and oil lights come on and i have to quickly put in park and start back up. Heres the catch though it usually does this the one time and nothing else the rest of the day. What can it be?

2. Car just seems to whine (kind of a whining hum)
let me explain, start the car it kind of whines a lil at first but whines even more when i turn the wheel. i topped off the power steering fluid to see if that would help and got no change. Any solutions?

3. Car seems to kind of wobble from the right front and rear and does not take any sort of bump well at all. I have inspected the struts and they seem to be fine, ive thought of just replacing lower control arms all the way around but figured id see what the experts have to say.

Thanks for any help as im trying to bring my Honda back to its prime

Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
HCF Member

For #1, check for cracks in the intake manifold plastic/rubber sections, particularly after the airflow meter.

I used to have an old Mazda that did the same thing, and it turned out to be a crack in the flexible rubber, just after the airflow meter. It also idled terribly, but would run fine once it got up to speed. Once I fixed the hole, the car ran perfectly again.