Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

greasy oily substance in intake pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
HCF Member
Default greasy oily substance in intake pipe?

So i was removing my intake filter to see what size it is because im getting an AEM filter. I went to whip the inside of the pipe to see if there was any dust on it, and there's some kind of greasy stuff on the bottom of the pipe. What could this be?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

do you have a k&n filter or any other type of cotton/wire mesh filter? If so You prolly just over oiled the filter and sucked some in your intake. Or your filter was just really dirty.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

I think its cotton/wire mesh filter. cheap eBay filter. I wash it once , i only used water.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 AM
HCF Member

That is the reason for all the junk in the intake pipe then. Cheap filters don't filter much. Good thing your getting an AEM filter. It will make you and your car happier. While your there it's prolly a good idea to clean out the intake pipe and your throttle body. With all the excess dirt that is in there it's best to clean it out now.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 AM
HCF Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by V8DIET
That is the reason for all the junk in the intake pipe then. Cheap filters don't filter much. Good thing your getting an AEM filter. It will make you and your car happier. While your there it's prolly a good idea to clean out the intake pipe and your throttle body. With all the excess dirt that is in there it's best to clean it out now.
wow, i just remembered that the hose that hooks up to the motor,i connected it to a funnel because it was a pain to change my quads oil , because i didn't have a long and thin funnel.. I thought i cleaned it out, The heat from the motor must have drawn it out. but im pretty shore that's the stuff in the pipe, 20w50 Bel ray oil.

Its only in the pipe, more towards the filter end. its dry around the entrance on the throttle body.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well you can easily get some oil in the intake.... remember you have a valve cover hose that goes into your intake which means fumes from the oil and such geting sucked all around there and after so much oil film in the intake, then you cut the motor off which isnt sucking it thru burning it anymore, so it simply follows gravity and slowly oozes down the intake and around your filter. if you think the filter opening is bad you should pull the intake off and feel inside the throttle body..... it will be black from the oil!!!!!!!
nothing to worry about.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

depending on the location of the filter, probably blowback from the vacuum line routed from the crankcase ventilation.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
well you can easily get some oil in the intake.... remember you have a valve cover hose that goes into your intake which means fumes from the oil and such geting sucked all around there and after so much oil film in the intake, then you cut the motor off which isnt sucking it thru burning it anymore, so it simply follows gravity and slowly oozes down the intake and around your filter. if you think the filter opening is bad you should pull the intake off and feel inside the throttle body..... it will be black from the oil!!!!!!!
nothing to worry about.
Ya there is a lite film of black, i already new about that. I just thought that's sludge. Can't wait to get this new filter, gives better piece of mind, specially with the hood im getting that has vents.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 AM

have you ever replaced your PCV valve? Might want to consider doing that since you can buy one from Autozone for $5. I just did mine yesterday but got a Honda one for $20

Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
HCF Member
Angry

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
have you ever replaced your PCV valve? Might want to consider doing that since you can buy one from Autozone for $5. I just did mine yesterday but got a Honda one for $20
Is that easy to do?

WTF i just got my new filter. it said 3.50'' so i thought that was the size of the rubber piece that gos on the intake. It to big, its like 4'' and my intake pipe is 3''.. So i guess ill have to buy another one if the eBay seller dos int what to exchange for a 2.75''. $50