Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Grinding noise while driving only

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Default Grinding noise while driving only

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and the civic world so take it easy on me lol.

Just got an 05 civic EX 1.7 VTEC and 5spd manual with an AEM short ram intake. I didn't notice this noise when I was test driving but after a week or so now I am noticing some grinding noise while driving. With the clutch pressed in or when coasting the noise goes away.

I have already drained the tranny and refilled with Honda MTF. The old fluid didn't look great but wasn't what I would call a bad color either and I didn't notice any shavings. The sound isn't as noticeable now, but it is definitely still there. I figure this is a transmission issue, something like mainshaft bearing, but I thought I would ask in general mechanical to be sure first as this is my first civic. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by phoenix83
when coasting the noise goes away.
When you coasting, is it in gear or neutral?

Does the grinding noise can heard on all gear or just the lower gear? and as you accelerate, does the noise get louder?

Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM

it goes away whether in gear or not.
it starts loud and then gets quieter the faster you go.

transmission shop in town is saying it is a bearing inside the transmission itself but without taking it apart he can't be sure which one. He said it definitely is not the throw out bearing though.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

The throw bearing would make noise opposite of your symtom, when clutch in, noise.

Your is the opposite, so most likely is your bearing (most likely mainshaft), and the higher gear you shift to, less noise, correct?

A coincident that I'll be helping a friend replacing his clutch and also replacing the mainshaft bearing, even though no noise yet, and i'll try to take some pix of the process, but i am sure your tranny has different layout then a 95 civic, but concept are the same.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Yeah, the higher the gear the less noise. Im thinking Input or Mainshaft bearing as well because the more rotations the louder it is. Since higher gears turn fewer times it would get quieter as you speed up.

I'm thinking about just replacing all the bearings in the transmission when I do this since it has about 113,000 miles on it and i will already have it off to do the mainshaft.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM

found this link with some detailed pics for the main/input shaft bearing replacement. It appears to be a european version of the car so when they say driver side that is our passenger side and vice versa.

d-series.org/forums/transmission-alley/14079-diy-tranny-removal-input-shaft-bearing-change.html