Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help With A Killswitch...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM
HCF Member
Default Help With A Killswitch...

Let Me start by saying I have already searched the forum, and didn't find the answers I need, so I started a new thread.

I'm trying to put a kill switch to the fuel pump on my 96 civic cx, I know the wire I have to attach the switch to is yellow with a green stripe, but I want to mount the switch in the back (somewhere out of a theifs reach). So should I take out the back seats, find the wire, and just mount the switch somewhere on the side of the seats? How should I g about doing this?

(Also, if anyone has pictures of how to remove the back seats, that would be greatly appreciated)

Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

There's bolt down by where the seat back and seat bottom meet. I would put the kill switch underneath the rear seat where you can ram your hand in if you really try, but wouldn't randomly think to look there.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well with a kill switch most people wont help you. just because if they find a good spot to hide the switch or a few switches in a good spot no one in there right mind is gonna tell you where to put the switch.LOL do your own experiment and look all around. and chose your own spot..... and DONT TELL ANYONE! a kill switch is no good if you tell someone where its at. THINK ABOUT IT...

also dont expect the kill switch to save your car. your car can still be towed away and stolen! they just prevent the smash/bust colum thieves! nothing more so be sure to FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE.... anything less for your pride and joy is is risking your hard earned money you spent on the car!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

2nd on full coverage, especially if its a really cool car.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

Thanks guys, I did it today, I didnt even take out the seats (just the two hooks on the bottom of the seats and unscrewed the fuel pump cover) it was really easy. I was thinking of putting it in the trunk though, I can always remount it wherever I want I guess. Thanks for the suggestions, I found my own nice little spot tho lol.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Well, for one thing, if you have to get out of your car at every stop, ie: grocery, renting movies, standing in line at Burger King, you might not want to get out of your car and have to pop the trunk, only to draw attention to yourself reaching around for something su****ious, like a kill switch. Remember, most thefts don't just occur on the long overnight parks.

So I am glad you didn't go with the trunk.

I would much rather be able to hit it inside the vehicle without drawing much attention to it, or allowing friends and what not to even notice what I am doing. The key is to keep it a secret, and make sure that it's not a hassle to use, otherwise, you won't. Then after time you forget about it, and a wire pops loose, one day you can't even start your car, and you have it towed and worked on only to hear that your fuel pump wiring is bad, then after you rack up a hefty bill you recall your problem.

Yeah, that's a pretty worse case scenario, but it was fun to think up :-)