Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I have no idea??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Default I have no idea??

Hello everyone I need some help, and have several issues... So I just bought a 94 civic coupe- can't tell you if it's a dx, ex because I bouight it at a pawn shop and they don't know. I've been looking at civics to tell which one could be my model but I can't tell. the only thing that I saw different was the dashboard gauges because mine only has the temp needle, speedometer, and the fuel gauge. (canadien model maybe??) anyway... I did all the basic tune up stuff... oil change filter I checked the spark plugs but they are still good. But here is my problem... the dome light wont' turn on when you open the door (will turn on iff you manually turn it on), the headlights won't turn on at all, and the srs and brake light (on the dashboard)are on all the time.... any suggestions...... I will try to post some pix when I can. any ideas suggestions are appreciated. thankx.
p.s. - also the guy before me thought he was cool cuz he got these ugly rear tail lights but the way he has them wired up I have never seen.. he spliced the wires from the housing unit with the trunk dome light..???

Last edited by lionsden20; 02-27-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:50 AM

Pics? Sunroof? power windows/locks? What motor is in it?

For your electrical problems, it sounds like blow fuses/relays, but could be something else since the car sounds like it was modded previously.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 AM

I went to auto zone and they guessed it was a DX... the motor is s 16 valve with headers and I'm pretty sure it's modded. I'll get pix in about 10 mins... no power windows, or locks, no sunroof.. oh and I check all fuses and they are good... not sure about relays.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 AM

Nothing power on a coupe? That is a DX.

You have one header, not headers

Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Cool

sorry ... HEADER... lol... ok here are some pix - I don't know the order but you can see the dashboard with the lights on - the rear tail light ghetto fab wiring and motor, and the fuse box (can you tell which fuses I'm missing??)..

Attached Thumbnails I have no idea??-imag0126.jpg   I have no idea??-imag0129.jpg   I have no idea??-imag0130.jpg   I have no idea??-imag0132.jpg  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Whenever something doesn't light up, check the bulbs first. Could simply have both headlight bulbs burnt out or disconnected. Also check the light grounding wires near the headlights.

There is a main "lights" fuse in the box under the hood near the battery and then four 10A headlight fuses in the panel under the dash. The 4 fuses are independent for each beam: left high, left low, right high, and right low. There is no relay in the headlight circuit (unless someone added one). When you turn the light switch on (full to the second click), you should get battery voltage on the test points of two of the fuses under the dash (depending on whether high or low is selected). The main fuse feeds the light switch-- thus the tail lights and dash lights also depend on it. There is also a separate fuse under the dash, after the light switch, for the tail lights / dash lights.

SRS light on probably means someone crashed the car and didn't replace the air bags, or put in phony ones. Could also be a broken "clock spring" under the steering wheel, this also usually disables the horn. BRAKE light will light because the hand brake handle is pulled up or the brake fluid level is low. If brake fluid is OK, disconnect the wires to the switch on the reservoir and see if the light goes out. Switch could be stuck.

Last edited by mk378; 02-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the help... I found the cover to the fuse box in the engine bay and I found problem number one (headlights).. dude took the 40a fuse and put it in the ignition slot. So I went to autozone and got the 50a fuse for the ignition and put the 40a fuse were it goes. Now headlights are working.... (brake light) The brake fluid is low so I will get it at the Honda dealership tomorrow... now the SRS is on becuase as soon as I took the front bumper off the front end is damaged but not terribly. looks like a "hard" fender bender.... As soon as the Junk yard opens I will get my rear tail light assemblies and get rid of the ghetto tail light assembly... Thanks everyone