Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idling problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Idling problem...

ORIGINAL: Pete
Could also be air in the coolant system. Bleeding that only takes a minute, id give it a shot.
ummmm.... sorry, but i never heard that one..... air in the cooling system can lead to hot pockets and overheating... witch may possible cause an irregular idle i guess...

Everyday Getaway-
1. check throttle cable tension
2. check throttle body....clean with throttle plate cleaner or carb cleaner!
3. check all sensors connections - check for ecu codes as well (not sure what your driving....obd1 / obd2...)
4. check vacuum lines!
5. if all checks out good.... do a compression test

Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JETSPEED333

ORIGINAL: Pete
Could also be air in the coolant system. Bleeding that only takes a minute, id give it a shot.
ummmm.... sorry, but i never heard that one..... air in the cooling system can lead to hot pockets and overheating... witch may possible cause an irregular idle i guess...

Everyday Getaway-
1. check throttle cable tension
2. check throttle body....clean with throttle plate cleaner or carb cleaner!
3. check all sensors connections - check for ecu codes as well (not sure what your driving....obd1 / obd2...)
4. check vacuum lines!
5. if all checks out good.... do a compression test

Yea, youre right! Damn haynes manaul, that thing is full of lies. Must have beena weird coincidencethat I had an idle issue caused by air in the coolant system.

Pull your lip over your head and swallow.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:53 PM

Ok... so this weekend I went to my dad's house in VA (50 mile drive) and on the drive home (only after the first 40 miles had been driven) my car started doing this idle thing again, and this time I noticed that it happens only when I'm at a complete stop, it reves extremely fast right at 1400-1500, like a "vrm-vrm-vrm-vrm-vrm" sound... then when I start driving and step on the clutch the rpms imediatly drop down to idle (usually the needle drops slowly) the car also jumps a bit when I tap the throttle, or let off of it completly. THEN... I turned off the car at a red light and restarted it and it stopped doing the idling thing, then at the next light it did it only much slower and from around 1000 to 1600rpm. When I got home and shut off the car I could hear a fluid pouring into something, I'm thinking it had to have been the coolent overflow tank. Then I took a look under the hood, coolent levels are normal but the lines are hot, very hot, temp needle shows normal reading though...

Do you guys have any idea what the hellis happeninghere???

Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

nope. sounds like a mixture of things. one thing causes the next and then the next. I had a small idling issue and the first thing i did was replace the plugs, and it ran like a champ! from my experiences with bosch plugs... lets just say i'll never buy another one of their plugs again.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:47 PM

I do need to replace my plugs... that's probably part of the problem. What kind of plugs would you recomend, I've heard that the irradium plugs are crap... I have MSD 8.5mm wires...