Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm CONFUSED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Default I'm CONFUSED!!!

Hey everyone, I am just looking for a quick education on the Air Conditioning system in a 94 Civic. Basically, I am doing the reverse of everyone else and actually installing one... Weird I know, but I just use this car for day to day transportation.

Anyways, I found an A/C system out of a 1992 civic for sale for cheap, someone needed it gone because it was taking up space in the garage... But it's out of a 92 and they changed the ac systems in 1994.... So everything still fits in, it's just that on the evaporator underneath the dashboard, there is a three prong plug and on the evaporator there is only a two prong plug... I checked the rest of the harnesses in the engine bay and they all seem to match up, it's just that one... So is there a way to bypass that? And if I do, then will the system work? Or will I need to do something else as well?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I'm CONFUSED!!!

The first thing I would do is look at a wiring diagram for each vehicle and see what is different in the wiring and what those wires go to. I would think the Service Manual would show how it is hooked up and also how to test the system so you can get an idea of what the wires arefor and why it would or would not be needed. Then I would ask an A/C mechanic what are the options of hooking it up, explaining about the two different wiring set ups as you have it so you can get an idea of whether it will actually work.
It is always a challenge to hook up something from another year vehicle when things like this happen.
Is it possible to get the correct part for your car at the salvage yard to avoid the wiring headaches?