Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LED tail lights

Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Default LED tail lights

I just got my LED tail lights in for my 98 civic ex and there is an extra plug thats attached to the tail lights and I dont know where to hook them up to...? I called spyder, the manufacturer and they were no help at all. They said go to a bodyshop, hell with that!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

I had the same problem with my aftermarket tail lights. I ended up tieing the light away somewhere. You can put the blinker light and driving light in the outer shell and than just the reverse light in the inner shell. The driving light will still be brighter when you brake. it was kind of a bummer but technically its all you need

Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 AM
HCF Member

I recently installed spyder LED lights on my 08. The LED's replaced my normal brake light. the connector didn't fit at all. So I had to pull their connector apart and stick the prongs into my cars harness. Then tape it off. But teh wiring they used wasn't correct.

I had to plug black to black, red to green, and green to red. Then I got my lights to work right. dim when lights on and only bright when brakes are on. I don't know if this helps, but mine work fine.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Thanks. I got em wired up and they work pretty decent. The guy that had the car b4 me had splices everywhere and had euros on there so i had to get rid of them lol.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Apostle
dim when lights on and only bright when brakes are on. I don't know if this helps, but mine work fine.
i'm pretty sure that when your foot isn't on the brake, the 3rd brake light should not be lit at all.
I guess the dim light could be attributed to LEDs not needing much voltage to give off at least some light, and possibly there is a very minute amount of electricity flowing with your foot not on the brake that allows the LEDs to still light partially.
However, my Del Sol's 3rd brake light is an LED bar, and it doesn't light up at all unless your foot is on the brake; it's fuctioning as it should.
Also, I believe that Civics with spoilers that have the 3rd brake light in the spoiler also use an LED bar, and those don't light up unless your foot is on the brake either.