Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower tie bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
HCF Member
Default lower tie bar?

so i got one of those 4 strut bar kit's on ebay for like 50 bucks and i have both the upper ones on and the back lower one on the lower control arm bolts, but when i went to do the front ones the bolts are like 19 mm rediculously large bolts that are too big for the bar to even mount there...
i looked at the product review for the 4 bars and it had pictures...

but where else could that bar attach besides the lower control arm?

Old 03-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: lower tie bar?

Are the bolts too wide for the holes in the mounting brackets? If so, I had the same problem. Drilled them out and I was good to go!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

i was thinking about getting a set of thoes ebay bars.. i was just wondering if thier really strong enough to do any good, and how they should be setup... any kind of preload? or just zero them in with the weight of the car on the wheels?
which set and from who did you get them? what do you think of them so far? well other than the holes not being big enough for the bolts to go through...

Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

the holes are too small, but also the washer to the bolt for the lower control arms really doesn't look like it's even going to fit in the general mount you know?

well i can definately notive a difference, it's not cast steel or anything but you can tell the body flexes less when you go over railroad tracks that are on an angle.

you can't install them with the weight of the car on the wheels, because the lower bars attach with the bolts that go through the lower control arms, so if you undid that bolt without jacking the wheel up once it came out your whole wheel would just like buckle in and put lots of torque on few other bolts, so yeah you have to jack it up

and word to the wise, you have to jack up both sides at the same time (left and right) because otherwise you put the chassis out of square and the lower control arm bolt does fit back in.

the upper ones just bolt right on to the top of the strut towers and are really easy to do, you don't have to jack anything up at all.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

ok, i understand not having weight on the wheels while the bolts are out, but dont the ends of thoes bars screw in and out, and then there is a locking or jamb nut.. that would mean that you could theoretically put a preload on the bar....wouldnt it?