Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Might be flooding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Default Might be flooding?

I have a '98 Honda Civic LX. Im trying to be patient with the car cause its a nice car and runs smooth ONCE IT STARTS. Heres my problem:

The car has times where it will start and other times it will not. Had the distributor cap and rotor button replaced, coil, ignition module, spark plugs. Had the starter checked and its fine. Read a way to test the fuel regulator and it checked out. The fuel pump cuts on and seems to work and the filter looks new. My dad seems to think its flooding cause he told me to hold the pedal to the floor to see if it would start try burn off excess gas and sure enough it did. I cant keep taking this thing to a mechanic and it not fixing the problem and need a car that wont leave me stranded. When we first purchased the car this didnt happen. It started about 3 weeks after. The check engine light does not come on either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by _TaintedRarity_; 01-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by _TaintedRarity_
I cant keep taking this thing to a mechanic and it not fixing the problem and need a car that wont leave me stranded.
First of all, you should NEVER accept a mechanic's charging you for replacing of parts that didn't solve the problem. If the mechanic replaces anything that does not solve the problem, he or she should put back the old part and not charge you for his or her error.

In the past, I've left my car with the shop with the stated expectation that I would not accept any monetary charges that were not related to the "issue" being fixed. It took the guy 2 weeks to figure out what was wrong but when I received the car back, it was as good as new.

If your mechanic won't accept these terms, then take your car to a different one.

In the meantime, maybe someone who has had the problem you have, will chime in.