Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor seems to be misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Default Motor seems to be misfiring

Wassup. For all ya honda and acura enthusiasts, i got a problem with my car that needs solving.
I have a 92' civic eg6 with a 95' gsr motor swap.It's bone stock.No mods at all.
My buddy and i were messing around on the streets and while we were going at it, i accidentally miss shifted from 3rd to 2nd gear at high rpm while i was supposed to go to 4th gear.My motor redlined and everything was all good until a couple hours later.I left my car at my friends house for a good two hours and when i got there i started the car.It seems to be running hella rough with the motor shaking.My house was a good 10 miles from where my friend lived so i drove it home thinking that nothing was wrong.I took the freeway with no stops, but right when i exited the freeway and came onto the same streets and put the car in neutral, the motor died right away.It keeps dying when i put it in neutral.So i kept starting the car and finally made my way home.Here is wat i did:
-Check spark plugs(NGK Iridium), and the sparkplug in cylinder #1 was clean with no burnt or anything.The rest of the sparkplugs were all pitch black dark.I replaced them with the oem sparkplugs and still the same thing happened.The motor was still running really rough.
-Changed the sparkplug wires with my buddys wires and still the same thing happened.Motor is still rough with a really rough idle.
The motor runs rough at idle, but once in gear and with a little gas the car would run normal like a gsr.

THE POINT:
-I did a bad miss shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th.Motor is running really rough at idle and u can literally see the motor shaking really bad.Check sparkplugs and wires and both seems ok.Please i really need help on this so give me some info if you think you knoe what is happening.Thanks.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Chubby Chaser

any cel? did you check the distributor cap?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Does it drive OK, but just idle poorly? Or if you've also lost power for driving, the timing belt may have skipped.

While idling, disconnect the fuel injector plugs one at a time (disconnect one, observe result, reconnect it, go to the next one). It should slow down more when you disconnect one. If nothing happens, that cylinder is not firing. This is the same as the old test with the spark plug wires but a lot safer since running with a wire off can blow the coil.

If it's only while idling, may be an ordinary IACV problem not at all related to over revving the engine, just happened by coincidence.

Also check your coolant level (in the radiator itself not the tank, engine COLD), may have blown the head gasket and started losing coolant.

Last edited by mk378; 06-30-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM

ill test out the feul injectors and let u knoe.Theres too many possibilities on why the car is like how it is now.I jus replaced the head gasket like 2 months ago and there's no smoke coming out from the muffler at all, so i doubt it will be a blown gasket.The car doesn't seem to loose any power when driving a high speeds though.