Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

NEED Cooling System Help ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Default NEED Cooling System Help ASAP!!!

ok, story is, car was in a minor fender bender, replaced a headlight, bumper, hood and radiator. in live almost next to a carquest, got the radiator and new tstat from them, figured id replace the thermostat at same time., ok all that done, i fill rad up, bleed it for air. as per manual, front jacked up,heat on high. i notice the fan never turns on. so i close rad up, take a quick run down the road and back, still no fan, no overheating,no leaking, temp gauge normal. so i unplug fan run jumper wires from fan to the battery, fan works right away when applied to direct power. ok, so i replace the fan relay and the fan switch sensor both, also from carquest. get everything installed, bled system again to be sure. test drove 2 miles, came back temp gauge normal, i get heat from the system if i turn the heat on, ac works cold. still no fan,wtf. i stand and let car idle for like 10-15 min, finally i see fan like hesitate to turn on and i hear the relay clicking, then it kicked on prob for like 15 sec, then shuts off, minute or so later, started to start but stuttering, relay is clicking away. fan turns on again. then cycles off, relay is clicking like crazy when ever it tries to turn on. i let it cycle 3 times, kinda sporatic though, no clear on off. i shut the car off, enough for today, went out today drove it 2 miles came back, let idle watched fan, nothing, 15 min. nothing, upper rad hose is pressurized and hot, lower rad hose is pressurized and lukewarm . top of rad is hot., temp guage still normal. im lost, im tire of buying parts and nothing fixed. is it crappy carquest parts? did i get a bad fan switch sensor? i even tried swappin relay with the condenser fan bc that works, and nothing, any ideas? also oil is normal, no coolant in it, car idles fine, no smoke out exhaust at all
car is a 2000 ex auto with 110k miles

should i go get all new parts form honda?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM

dont everyone answer at once!

did the paper clip trick in the 2p connector for the fan switch, fan works when key turns on when paper clip id in it, guess i got a **** fan switch from carquest

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah test drive with fan running all the time, if it doesn't overheat, the switch must be bad.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 AM

got a new fan switch from honda, and a honda tstat. installed today, fan still doesnt kick on, if i jump it with paper clip it runs. wtf is wrong with it

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

So if you test drive with the fan running all the time, does it still overheat?

If there's no flow through the radiator, the switch won't get hot enough to turn on, even though the engine could be overheated.